Cricket

Smith, Warner clear to represent Premier Cricket

Smith Warner

XtraTime Web Desk: The New South Wales Cricket Association (NSW) doesn’t have any problem if banned Australian cricketers Steve Smith and David Warner play Australian Premier Cricket.

A couple of months back Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were banned by Cricket Australia after Cape Town ball –tampering scandal. This has prevented them from playing international and Australian domestic cricket.

Western Australia's Premier clubs are set to meet on Monday to determine whether Bancroft will be granted an exemption from its own rules, which dictate that suspensions handed down by CA also apply to its competition.

The Western Australia District Cricket Council's rules state that a player suspended by the WACA, their club association or Cricket Australia is "automatically disqualified from participation in WADCC Competitions for the duration of that suspension".

The NSWCA has a similar clause in its by-laws, however it's understood the NSWCA has opted to instead apply CA's sanctions, which explicitly allow Smith and Warner to play Premier Cricket.

It's also understood neither player will be eligible to captain their respective club sides this summer.

Smith's Sydney team Sutherland and Warner's club side Randwick-Petersham have already expressed support for their Test players, with the latter club's president Mike Whitney (the former Test bowler) telling Fairfax he expects Warner to be available for the early part of the 2018-19 summer.

The WADCC is unique compared to Premier Cricket competitions in other states in that its committee is independent of the state body, meaning they have the final say on allowing Bancroft to play in its competitions.

WACA chief executive Christina Matthews said two weeks ago she hoped Bancroft wouldn't be left as "the odd one out" if Smith and Warner are permitted to play club cricket in Sydney.

Bancroft began playing for Willetton in the Under-13s back in 2002-03, progressing to the senior ranks as a 14-year-old in the club's fourth XI before making his first-grade debut aged 16.

"We’re moving to ask if (the WACA DCC) would be prepared, for his wellbeing, to grant an exception," Willetton president Ron Kukura told News Ltd.

"We’re doing everything we can to get him to play. We want him to play cricket with our club and he wishes to play."

Smith and Warner had both been set to captain Indian Premier League sides this year, but had lucrative deals torn up after the ball-tampering controversy, while Bancroft had a contract with English county side Somerset cancelled.

New Australia head coach Justin Langer, whose appointment was confirmed last week, said the banned trio would be welcomed back into the national fold as long they can meet the standards of the team.

"One of the key values for me is learning from the past,” Langer said.

"When I think about Cameron Bancroft and Steve Smith, they love the game of cricket more than anyone I know and they are great kids. That's why it was a surprise they made the mistake they did. We've all made mistakes.

"David Warner is the same. He's a really great young bloke.

"This will be a really important message: if they are willing to meet the standards of the Australian cricket team, I think everyone has a place."

About Web Master

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.