Cape Town

Heavy rain washes out day 3 of Cape Town Test

[caption id="attachment_61213" align="aligncenter" width="580"] Heavy rain washed out day 3 game today. Image Source: XtraTime[/caption]

Debasis Sen, Cape Town: Rain played a spoilsport on Day 3 of the first test match between India and South Africa here at the Newlands Stadium. Heavy rains throughout the day forced the umpires to call off the day’s play. Both teams left the stadium around 3pm. for their respective hotels.

The Indian players did arrive at the ground at the scheduled time but after waiting for a while decided to leave. The support staff stayed back at the ground. Later during the lunch time the players again returned back to the stadium, only to find that the conditions haven’t improve.

There was a threat that heavy rain might ruin the day’s play and the rain arrived early in the morning. The force of the rain rose with each passing hour and ultimately the umpires decided to call it off for the day. There was gulf of water all across the Newlands’ outfield and it was still raining when the decision was made that no play would happen today.

Coach Ravi Shastri went inside the ground for an inspection and he had a chat with chief curator Evan too. The grounds men did make an effort to get the grounds in condition but it started drizzling again.

There were quite a few numbers of Indian fans who came to the stadium but were left disappointed. Later when the players left the stadium they were cheering the Team Indian members.

Good news is there is no more forecast of any showers tomorrow but it will remain cloudy. As the players left for the hotel, the sun did come out for the first time in the day.

The match hangs in balance, meanwhile. On day one, South Africa were bowled out for 286 runs in the first innings with Bhuvneshwar Kumar taking 4/87. India were reduced to 28/3 at stumps.

Hardik Pandya single-handedly kept his side in contention with 93 runs off 95 balls and then took 2-17 as well.

Dale Steyn, on his comeback to Test cricket, suffered a heartbreaking heel injury whilst bowling during the Indian first innings. He has been ruled out of the remainder of this Test, and the series as a result

On day two, India finished with 209 runs in their first innings, surrendering a 77-run lead. South Africa were 65/2 at stumps with an overall lead of 142 runs.

About Web Master


Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.